SocialWorks back in Action January 4th/2017
Hello SocialWorks Families,
We look forward to having everyone back at SocialWorks tomorrow between 6:15-8:15pm at the Sheridan Centre!
In the fall term overall we covered many topics dealing with personal and interpersonal communication, we looked at things such as:
- Recognizing good and bad friendships
- Understanding who we are, and self-affirmation
- Self-advocacy, being able to speak up and tell people what we want and how we fell
- Understanding qualities of healthy relationships and people who make us feel safe and or unsafe
- Conversations, how to continue conversations, how to insert ourselves into conversations
- Having disagreement and discussions, understanding and processing the word “no” as not always a negative or an attack, but a response that can be explored through a discussion
We would love to hear more feedback from the parents. What are the goals and areas you are looking to approach or start approaching in the upcoming future for your child? What are some of their personal or educational goals that we can maybe explore in class. As many of our clients have been coming back year after year we want to keep it as fresh and as personal as possible, really gearing it and tailoring it to everyone’s needs as much as possible. If you would like it to be a more quality-respite social group, with more games and opportunities to interact and hang out we can definitely work some of that in either allotting time on a weekly basis during program or dedicating once a month to a more social-teen group.
Things we have covered in the past include:
- Personal hygiene
- Understanding authority and respect
- Job Interviews and Resumes
- Community, School and Home Safety
- Money Smarts (Shopping, Every day use of money)
- Healthy eating and smart lifestyle choices
- Cyber & cell-phone safety
We plan on moving forward with these in the winter and spring, but if there is something you’d like us to target specifically for your child – it’s likely if it’s a target for someone it’s just as important for the other, so feel free to share that with me and we will try our best to make it happen!
If you have any other ideas as to how you would like the class to continue or develop feel free to share them with us at any time, we always encourage feedback.We will move forward with 6:15-8:15 for the rest of the year.
Thank you so much for your support, and we look forward to seeing you tomorrow!
Adina & The SocialWorks Team